Last month I posted a lemon pepper chicken nugget recipe, and I’ve been dreaming up a rice version ever since. There’s something about the lemon/pepper combo that’s just so delicious. This instant pot lemon pepper rice is made with white wine, lemon, garlic, parmesan cheese, chicken broth, and seasonings, and it’s so so comforting.
This recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes, and the instant pot does most of the work. I added rotisserie chicken, which makes it totally effortless and the perfect weeknight meal. It’s comfort food but without all the fuss.
Here’s what you’ll need for this instant pot lemon pepper rice.
- Long grain white rice ($1.26)
- Sweet onion ($1.00)
- Chicken broth ($1.33)
- White wine ($5.98). Any dry white wine works well. I’d recommend Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio. If you live near a Trader Joe’s, the Two Buck Chuck is perfect. If you’re not a big wine drinker and won’t finish off the rest of the bottle, I’d recommend the little mini bottles–that way you can stow away the extra and use it another time.
- Lemon ($0.56)
- Garlic ($0.46)
- Parmesan cheese ($4.12)
- Rotisserie chicken (optional) ($4.50). Costco has great rotisserie chickens, but you can pick one up anywhere. You could also make your own chicken if you prefer. Some grocery stores have lemon pepper rotisserie chickens, which would be perfect for this recipe.
- Peas ($0.84)
- Typical fridge and pantry ingredients: olive oil, milk, salt, black pepper, lemon pepper seasoning
Excluding the typical pantry and fridge ingredients, the ingredients for this dish cost around $20.05, or about $5.01 per serving. If you’re in a pinch, you can leave out the wine.
Here’s how you make it.
Rinse your rice until the water is clear. Don’t skip this step–it washes away the extra starch and prevents the rice from becoming gummy and mushy as it cooks.
Set your instant pot to sauté (normal temperature) and add olive oil and rice. Cook the rice for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until it turns slightly golden colored. Then add onion, half of the chicken broth, milk, water, white wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, lemon pepper seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Place the lid on your instant pot and turn the valve to the sealing position.
Set your instant pot to pressure cook and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Let it natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the way.
Open the instant pot and fluff the rice with a fork, then add parmesan cheese, peas, chicken, and the remaining chicken broth. Stir to combine, then cover with the lid for a minute or so, until the chicken and peas are warm and the cheese is melted.
Serve with extra lemon zest, freshly cracked black pepper, and grated parmesan on top!
If you like this, you should also try…
- Fast Lemon Pepper Chicken Nuggets
- One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Cauliflower and Baked Potato Soup
- Quick Pantry Spaghetti with Bacon and Tomatoes