Dressed-Up Frozen Chicken Nuggets, Part 2.
This is part 2 of our dressed-up frozen chicken nuggets series. If you missed part 1, you can read about it here, but here's the short story: I needed a quick appetizer to serve on Football Sundays and decided to come up with different ways to serve the same frozen chicken nuggets.
Each week I'm posting a new way to serve frozen chicken nuggets, inspired by popular food in the geographical region that Washington's opposing team is from. However, just because we’re serving these as a football snack doesn’t mean you have to. They’re perfect for a quick meal too–especially if you have kids and you’re looking for something a bit more elevated than plain chicken nuggets.
We use these lightly breaded chicken nuggets from Costco, but you can use whatever chicken nuggets you're fond of (or you can make your own!).
Part 2: Washington Football Team v. Buffalo Bills
Last week the Washington Football Team played the Buffalo Bills, so these chicken nuggets are inspired by popular food in Buffalo, New York. It wasn't hard to figure out how I'd put a spin on the chicken last week, considering buffalo sauce was invented in Buffalo (who would've guessed?). These buffalo chicken nuggets are quick and easy, and the blue cheese dressing is SO SO good. It really takes these chicken nuggets from frozen to homemade.
What you'll need.
- Chicken nuggets. We use these from Costco. I like them because they're lightly breaded and not too heavy. Feel free to use your favorite chicken nuggets (or make your own!). Here are some made by Purdue.
- Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce. I'm a huge fan of Frank's Hot Sauce--it's truly the best.
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream. We use greek yogurt to lighten this up a bit, but sour cream is great too if that's what you prefer.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Blue Cheese. If you don't like blue cheese, you can omit it and the dressing will be similar to ranch. But seriously, you should try it with the blue cheese. It's so good.
- Black pepper, salt, ground cayenne and garlic powder
Here's what I did.
I heat my chicken nuggets in the air fryer at 350 degrees until they're crisp, about 10 minutes, but you can cook them according to package directions or whatever is easiest for you.
While the chicken is cooking, combine butter, hot sauce, and ground cayenne in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the butter is melted and the sauce is hot, stirring to combine everything. Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and stir/toss until all the chicken is covered. Remove the chicken from the pan and place it into a serving dish, discarding the extra sauce.
Then make the blue cheese dressing for dipping--combine mayonnaise, greek yogurt (or sour cream), garlic powder, ground cayenne, black pepper, salt, Worcestershire, crumbled blue cheese, and a dash of hot sauce. Serve with the chicken.