This no-fuss corn, veggie, and bean salsa is perfect for any summer occasion. It's quick and easy--all you have to do is chop up the veggies and throw all the ingredients together. The best part is that the longer you let it sit, the better it gets. It's great served with chips or as a salad.
This corn and bean salsa is similar to cowboy caviar, but without black-eyed peas. We love black beans and kidney beans, so we've opted to use those instead. If you're looking for other great summer appetizers, try our party-sized guacamole or chipotle turkey and ham picnic roll-ups.
- Canned black beans
- Canned kidney beans
- Canned corn
- Bell peppers
- Red onion
- Other ingredients: oil, salt, and black pepper
See recipe card for amounts.
- More time equals more flavor! You can definitely serve this right after you make it, but if you let sit overnight in the fridge the flavors will develop more. Just store it in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap or in an air-tight container.
- When you chop the jalapeños, make sure you wear gloves or plastic bags over your hands. Pepper burn is no joke and takes forever to go away! Learn from my pain. Trust me.
- Use an oil with a mellow flavor--avocado oil works well.
- This recipe makes a ton. If you're just serving a couple of people and don't plan to eat the leftovers, cut the recipe in half (or quarter it).
How to serve it
- With chips! This goes without saying, but we love pairing this with multigrain tortilla chips or scoop-able tortilla chips.
- On a salad. We love putting this salsa over lettuce, avocado, tortilla strips, grilled chicken, bbq ranch (to make your own, combine your favorite BBQ sauce with store bought ranch, to taste), and shredded cheese.
- Tacos. Use as a topping on your favorite tacos!
- By itself! This is also great eaten alone with a fork. Served it as a side with our Chipotle Turkey and Ham Rollups.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! We love kidney beans and black beans, but you can use whatever you like! If you want to make this more like cowboy caviar, use black-eyed peas. It'd also be great with chickpeas or white beans.
We love adding avocado to this salsa. Just make sure you do it right before you plan on eating it (the avocado will brown before the rest of the salsa goes bad).
We store ours in the refrigerator in a large bowl with plastic wrap or in an air-tight container for 3-5 days. It actually tastes better the longer it sits.
Gloria T. says
Loved how simple and easy this recipe is! The best part is it tasted even better on the 2nd and 3rd day!!
Amy P. says
I LOVE this recipe. Summer, fall, winter, spring...it's good year round! It's so incredibly simple and fast to make. One of my favorite appetizers of all time.
Sharie S. says
Really love this recipe! I made it for a recent family fishing trip. It was perfect to for that! Looking forward to using it lots in the future!