Plain avocado toast is great and all, but if you want something more filling, try this cottage cheese avocado toast topped with fresh tomatoes (or whatever you want, really). It's light, creamy, and loaded with protein and healthy fats. Trust us, it's way better than it sounds.
There's something about cottage cheese and tomatoes that screams summer to me, and this recipe is no exception. It's the perfect summer lunch when I'm craving something filling that isn't heavy. It pairs great with our lemon and strawberry hibiscus tea. If you're looking for other toast variations, try our hot honey and peach ricotta toast or hash brown avocado toast.
- Good, crusty bread - we use sourdough, but you can use whatever type of bread you like to make toast with.
- Cottage cheese - use whatever fat content you like--I usually buy 2%.
- Mashed avocado - you can mash your own avocado or buy the little packets of pre-mashed. I love Good Foods avocado mash from Costco and sometimes have it on hand, but we usually just use fresh avocados and mash them ourselves.
- Tomatoes - we usually use grape or cherry tomatoes, but whole sliced tomatoes would work well too.
- Optional ingredients - butter, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice
See recipe card for quantities.
First, make your avocado mash. If you're using pre-mashed avocado that's already seasoned (like Good Foods avocado mash, for example), you can skip over this step. Mash half an avocado in a bowl and season with salt, black pepper, and lemon juice.
Next, butter your toast. Seems unnecessary to add a picture of that, but I'll do it anyway (for decoration). Enjoy this picture of some generously buttered toast.
Then add your cottage cheese. Spread evenly.
Then add the avocado mash you just made (or maybe bought). Spread evenly again.
Finally, top the toast with sliced tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. Then enjoy. You deserve it.
- Whip the cottage cheese in a food processor or blender before adding it to the toast for a creamier texture
- Add arugula or micro greens to the top of the toast
- Add some crushed red peppers to the top for a little kick
- Add chives or onions
- Top with a runny egg
- Top with crumbled bacon
Frequently asked questions
Cottage cheese is a great source of protein, is high in calcium and vitamin B12, and is relatively low in fat.
I like this recipe for breakfast or lunch! If I have it for breakfast, I usually add a runny egg to the top. If I have it for lunch, I just eat it plain.
We like sliced sourdough the best, but any crusty bread is great for avocado toast.
Leave a Reply