These turkey and ham roll ups are loaded with fresh ingredients like lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, and a chipotle yogurt sauce. They're great for spring and summer picnics, and they're totally customizable. They're similar to Costco turkey roll ups but way tastier and healthier.
These turkey and ham roll ups are essentially just full-sized wraps cut into bite-sized pin-wheels. Bite-sized servings and colored toothpicks make everything more fun, right?
These roll ups are totally customizable, so you can use whatever you already happen to have in your refrigerator, or you can make them exactly as the recipe is written. It's all up to you. They're so much better than store-bought roll ups (yes, even better than Costco's turkey roll ups). Eat them at home or throw them into a to-go container and take them with you.
Looking for other great spring and summer picnic recipes? Try our corn and bean salsa, marinated mozzarella pearls, or escabeche vegetable salad.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
- Tortillas- We use burrito-sized flour tortillas. Sometimes we use the sun-dried tomato or spinach-flavored ones. For gluten-free, we recommend these Mission gluten-free tortillas.
- Lunchmeat- We like a mixture of ham, turkey, and salami, but we've also been known to omit the salami or add some pepperoni. Sliced chicken works great too!
- Vegetables- We typically use green onions, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and sliced black olives.
- Shredded cheese- You can use your favorite kind of cheese. We like colby-jack, monterey-jack, cheddar, or pepper-jack.
- Some kind of sauce- We use a homemade chipotle yogurt sauce, which just requires a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and greek yogurt (or sour cream). Ranch dressing, mayonnaise, or mustard also work great.
- Toothpicks- We use toothpicks to hold our roll ups together. We just use regular ones, but I've been seeing these fun ones everywhere, and they'd be so cute.
- Whatever else you want. Your roll-ups, your rules. If you don't like something above, leave it out. If you want to add something else, just add it. See some of our suggestions below.
Step 1: Make the chipotle yogurt sauce. Add yogurt, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and salt to a food processor or blender and blend until combined and smooth. Taste and add more peppers if you want it spicer. Set aside.
Step 2: Lay your tortillas out on a flat surface. Add approximately two slices of each type of meat to the center of each tortilla (if your meat is cut super thin, feel free to add more). Spread a generous amount of the chipotle sauce on top of the meat, then add lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, green onions, and shredded cheese to the center of the tortillas.
Step 3: Fold one side of each tortilla over the toppings and roll tightly. Secure each rolled up tortilla with four equally spaced toothpicks. Cut the empty ends off of each tortilla and add to a discard bowl (makes for good snacking later). Cut each tortilla into four roll-ups and place onto a serving plate or into a storage container.
Step 4: Enjoy! Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours (they get soggy after that).
Alternative Topping Ideas
- Jalapeños- Pickled jalapeños would be really delicious.
- Spinach- Use this in addition to the lettuce or as an alternative to the lettuce.
- Roasted red peppers
- Diced bell peppers
- Cream cheese- Lots of grocery store roll ups include cream cheese. Spreadable chive cream cheese would be great. Just spread it onto the tortilla before adding the other toppings.
- Avocado- If you use avocado, make sure you're eating the roll ups right away, or the avocado will brown and become mushy.
- Use ranch, mayonnaise, or mustard instead of (or in addition to) the chipotle yogurt sauce
Frequently asked questions
You can make them up to 24 hours prior to when you plan on eating them (they start to get soggy after that), but they're best if you make them in real time. Store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Yes! These roll ups are totally customizable. Bell peppers, cucumbers, and spinach would all be great in these roll ups. Check out our list of alternative toppings above for other ideas.
Sharie S. says
Mollie’s roll ups are great! Perfect for a picnic, party, bridal shower, football game! The chipotle sauce gives it such great flavor.