This crustless chicken pot pie skillet is like the inside of a chicken pot pie, but without all the carbs and heaviness. Eat it in a bowl by itself, or serve it over a biscuit for a more traditional pot pie vibe. We use rotisserie chicken as a shortcut, so it's super fast and easy.
This crustless chicken pot pie is perfect for busy weeknights or low-carb diets. We like ours in a bowl by itself, but it's also great over a biscuit or croissant. Since there's no crust, it doesn't require any baking time or fussy dough. You can also customize it with whatever veggies you like.
- Rotisserie chicken- Any cooked chicken works, but we usually pick up a rotisserie chicken from Costco. It's fast, easy, and delicious.
- Mushrooms- We use baby bellas.
- Frozen corn, peas, carrots, and green beans- We buy a combo bag (sometimes called a vegetable medley or mixed vegetables). You can buy them separately if you're not able to find something similar. You can also customize this recipe and use whatever veggies you like.
- Chicken broth- We use good quality bone broth because it tastes so much better, but use whatever you have on hand or usually buy.
- Whole milk
- Other ingredients: Olive oil, minced garlic, cornstarch, salt, black pepper, ground cayenne, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
Step 1: Add oil, onions, and celery to a large pan over medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Finally, add the frozen mixed vegetables to the pan and cook another 3 minutes.
Step 2: Combine chicken broth and cornstarch in a bowl or measuring cup and mix until well combined. Then add the broth mixture, salt, black pepper, ground cayenne, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
Step 3: Once the mixture in the pan has thickened, add the milk. Cook another 5 minutes, then add the shredded chicken and stir to combine. Serve by itself in a bowl or over a biscuit.
Frequently asked questions
We love our crustless chicken pot pie served in a bowl by itself. It's low-carb, but still wholesome and delicious. If you'd rather add something a little more carby, then try serving it over a biscuit or croissant.
Yes! Use whatever vegetables you prefer. Potatoes, peppers, asparagus, and leeks would all be good in this as well.
Nope! You can use any cooked shredded chicken. We get about 4-5 cups of shredded chicken out of one rotisserie chicken.