These grilled salmon bites are perfect for busy weeknights. We toss cubes of salmon in a homemade BBQ rub, then grill them on our Traeger pellet grill to moist, caramelized perfection. They're so easy and delicious, and you can pair them with anything.
Salmon bites are so versatile because you can eat them with whatever you want. Throw them over rice, eat them in a taco, or serve bite-sized portions as a fun appetizer. We make these BBQ grilled salmon bites on our Traeger grill, but you can use any grill.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
For the salmon bites:
- Salmon- We prefer the taste (and health and environmental benefits) of wild-caught salmon. Use whatever you prefer. If you use frozen salmon, make sure it's completely defrosted before cooking.
- Olive oil
- Seasonings- Brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, ground cayenne, salt, and black pepper
See recipe card for amounts.
Step 1: Place cubes of salmon in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, and ground cayenne, and mix to combine.
Step 2: Shape a piece of aluminum foil into an approximately 9"x13" boat and spray with nonstick oil. Then put the salmon into the boat.
Tip: To make the boat, put the aluminum foil into a 9"x13" dish and fold in the sides. Then remove it from the dish.
Step 3: Preheat your grill to 350°F (we have a Traeger pellet grill). Once the grill has reached temperature, put the aluminum foil boat in the center of the grill, and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through (145°F).
Step 4: Serve! We like this salmon over rice, in tacos, with vegetables, and more!
Here are some serving ideas for these BBQ grilled salmon bites:
- Eat them like they're BBQ! Top your salmon bites with BBQ sauce and serve them with baked beans, potato salad, and coleslaw.
- Serve them with rice! We especially love these with coconut rice and mango salsa. Follow our coconut rice and mango salsa recipe from our BBQ salmon bowls.
- Enjoy them in a taco. They'd be great in a corn tortilla with shredded cabbage, pickled onions, and our cilantro lime aioli.
- Serve them on a salad! Our classic wedge salad would be perfect for the BBQ-inspired flavors on this salmon!
Frequently asked questions
You can follow the same instructions, but your grill might be hotter and cook the salmon faster than a pellet grill. Put your grill on medium-low and cook the salmon until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
It took our Traeger about 15 minutes to reach 350°F.
Store the salmon in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, pop it in the air fryer at 400°F for 2-3 minutes. If you don't have an air fryer, you can reheat the salmon in a pan with a splash of oil for a couple of minutes over medium heat.