I'm not a big tequila guy, but Mollie and most of our friends love margaritas. Mollie's favorite is the Uncle Julio's skinny margarita, so I knew I needed to recreate one for her at home. For Christmas we received a giant box of Florida oranges and grapefruits, and I thought they'd tie in perfectly with this delicious Mexican cocktail. This skinny orange grapefruit margarita is an easy recipe that only uses five ingredients and is great if you're pregnant or avoiding alcohol, because it's easy to make into a tasty mocktail.
Here's what you need.
- Orange. Any variety of orange should work for this recipe, but we recommend fresh oranges rather than store-bought juice.
- Lime. We recommend fresh limes. If you roll the lime prior to juicing it, it'll provide more juice.
- Maple syrup. We use this as a less processed alternative to simple syrup, but if you prefer sticking with simple syrup, you can swap it out at a 1-1 ratio.
- Silver tequila. We love using the Kirkland brand, but 1800 is also a great option.
Here's how you make this margarita.
Add about a cup of ice to a cocktail shaker or a jar with a lid. Juice the grapefruit, orange, and lime and pour the juice into the shaker or jar. Add the maple syrup and tequila, then cover and shake 10-15 times.
Add enough sea salt (or the salt of your choice) to cover the surface of a small saucer. Fill a small bowl with water, then dip the rim of your desired glass into the water and then into the salt. Fill the glass about halfway with ice, then add the margarita.
Enjoy with chips and salsa. Or don't. Whatever.
Try this with...
- Super Fast Lightened-Up Mexican Black Beans
- Blackened Mahi-Mahi Tacos with Peach Pico de Gallo and Cilantro Lime Sauce
- No Fuss Corn, Veggie, and Bean Salsa
Skinny Orange Grapefruit Margarita: FAQs
Of course you can make this into a mocktail! If you're pregnant, enjoying dry January, or just trying to be healthy, omit the tequila and enjoy this as a margarita mocktail. It's just as good and refreshing, especially on a hot summer day!
Yes! All you need to do is pour all of the ingredients into a blender, add 1 cup of ice and blend until smooth.
I would always recommend fresh pressed fruit juice over pre-packaged juice. The flavor is always stronger and you don't have the added sugar that you do in pre-packaged juice.